Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Mother's Day weekend

First off, happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there! I hope you all had a wonderful day. My weekend was a great combination of "me" time and sweet time with my boys. On Saturday, I spent a very productive day at the STLMQG sew-in. I brought two projects with me that didn't need a lot of thinking or prep, which was the perfect formula for a sew-in. I started off working on a Dr. Seuss blanket for my son, who's been begging me to make something with all the DS fabrics he's accumulated over the past months.
I kept it pretty simple, using big blocks of bright primary colors to fill in between the DS fabrics. I finished the top at the sew-in and then wrapped up the rest of it when I got home that night (I'll have some finished pics as soon as the sun comes back out). After finishing the top, I moved on to a quilt for me, bravely cutting into my hoarded Rhoda Ruth and Pacific fabrics. I'm so excited to see this one come together!
And working with all those big HSTs led me to a little Mother's Day gift for myself, a 12.5" square ruler. How did I ever live without one of these things?! I'm not a big ruler person and try to stick to the basics, but this one is amazingly useful, and I'm so excited to have it in my inventory now.
After church on Sunday, we had a whole family day that started with our annual trip to pick strawberries at a local farm.
It was a gorgeous day, and we managed to gather a pretty big haul without breaking a sweat. I see lots of jam making in my near future.
They were also having a small strawberry "festival" at the farm, so B got to enjoy a few kiddie rides and a bounce house, which was pretty much day made for him.
When we got home, I managed to finish planting most of our garden for the year (which was great, since we have lots of rain in store this week) while the hubby made dinner (fajitas and margaritas, my favorite). We've got lots of tomatoes, herbs, and peppers, plus asparagus, eggplant, watermelon, zucchini, corn, squash, kale, chard, and lettuces. (In case you're wondering how we got all that to fit, we use pots for the herbs and lettuces, and there's another smaller bed up by the house.) Now, that's a good weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say? I'd love to hear it! Thanks for commenting. (All comments are moderated, so it may take a little while for yours to appear. Just hit "Publish," and I'll take care of the rest.)