Wednesday, May 11, 2016

A rainbow of hexies

The march to re-cover some of our old pillows continues over here, and today I've got my first finished hexie project! You may recall I started sewing these hexies last fall (after I discovered just how addicting they are), but then they got set to the side for a rainy day.
A few weeks back, that day arrived. After playing around with several layouts and background fabrics, I finally decided on a good 'ol rainbow (when is that ever not the right choice?) and even had to make a few extra hexies to fill in some color gaps.
The fabrics are all from Elizabeth Hartman's first two collections, Rhoda Ruth and Pacific. I love the bright, saturated colors and how well these lines play together. Those little bunnies and foxes peeking out are my favorites.
I followed the Modern Hexies tutorial from Modern Handcraft to glue baste and quilt my hexies to the background, and I love the result. The quilting pattern is so simple but really makes the hexies "pop." I created an envelope enclosure for the back of the pillow using the navy raindrop print from Pacific, along with a fun teal arrow and heart print from Cloud 9.
Now that this one's done, I gotta get back to those Tucker Prairie hexies. I think they might be destined for a new table runner, but only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say? I'd love to hear it! Thanks for commenting. (All comments are moderated, so it may take a little while for yours to appear. Just hit "Publish," and I'll take care of the rest.)