Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Dan's signature quilt

Seven years ago, we moved to the Saint Louis area, and after a few months of searching, we found a new church home here. Part of what drew us to our church was the wonderful rector, who had started just a few months before. From the moment we met him, we could tell he was genuine, kind, caring, and the best leader his flock could ask for. A few years later, he baptized our son. He has encouraged us so much over the years, so we were so sad to hear him announce his retirement late last spring. Almost immediately, I jumped into "maker" mode and decided I wanted to make him a signature quilt as a parting gift.
I used 5.5" squares in a variety of blues and purples, plus a little white and gray to tone it down (Moda Bella Silver, Off White, Royal, Amelia Blue, Lavender, Amelia Lavender, Iris, and a light blue that I think is Blue Raspberry).
In the Sundays leading up to his farewell, I asked members of the congregation to sign a square in whatever way they saw fit. Some wrote poems or quotes, some drew pictures, and others just signed their name or wrote a sincere "good luck!" Each and every one was composed by someone who was touched by Dan's life and leadership.
 
I quilted it in white Aurifil using a simple crosshatch design. I mimicked the seam lines about 3/8" away on both sides, both vertically and horizontally. For the backing, I used a Carolyn Friedlander wideback (Architextures widescreen in gray).
Love when those points match up.

I don't usually do normal quilt labels (I have tags I insert into the binding of my quilts), but this seemed like an occasion for something more. The label includes a quote from Dan's favorite blessing.
Yesterday, I was happy to be able to gift the quilt to Dan. I hope it's treasured by him and his family as a reminder of their time here and of all the people who will remember and miss him greatly.

1 comment:

  1. You were so wonderful to do this for the Appleyards. And so glad you found Emmanuel!

    ReplyDelete

Got something to say? I'd love to hear it! Thanks for commenting. (All comments are moderated, so it may take a little while for yours to appear. Just hit "Publish," and I'll take care of the rest.)