Tuesday, October 10, 2017

September and October do.Good Stitches blocks

Sticking with our fruit theme, for the September block for the Emerge Circle of do.Good Stitches, Melanie chose a fun pineapple block. She posted a great tutorial on her blog and asked for two pineapples, one pieced and one solid, in yellow, pink, and/or mint fabrics. 
I gotta say, I loved putting these together. They're just so darn happy.
The mint is definitely my favorite. And look at those seams!
Wanda gave us a jump start on October, posting her tutorial early so we could finish our blocks as soon as we wanted. It turned out I had a window of time to knock them out pretty quickly, which always feels good.
She chose a super simple improv stripe block in a color scheme inspired by the solar eclipse we had back in August -- grays, black, navy, and white. This should make a great boy quilt (always in short supply in charity projects!). I promise I didn't use a ruler (as instructed) for my stripes, but it's hard for me to go wonky. ;)

Monday, October 9, 2017

Sweet Strawberry quilts: Two finishes!

As so often happens, life got in the way, and a few of the quilts I had to finish for the Emerge Circle of do.Good Stitches got put on the back burner until recently. But I'm happy to say they're finished and finally making an appearance on the blog. First up, you may remember my strawberry blocks from back in February.
I wound up with a total of 11 blocks. I didn't really feel like making another one, and 12 would still have made a pretty strangely shaped quilt (due to the size of the blocks), so I ended up turning them into two quilts!
I forgot to get exact measurements before I sent them off, but the big one finished at about 45" x 60", and the little one is about 34" square.
The big one was quilted on a long-arm by Janie Lou Quilts. I think the bubble pattern and pink thread add a fun touch. I used the squiggle stitch on my Janome to quilt the normal one. They're both finished with a fun madras print for the backing.
I dove into my stash for both binding prints, a black and white polka dot for the big one and a light pink crosshatch print for the normal one. Both quilts were gifted to Project Linus for its recent drive for Hurricane Harvey victims. I hope they're able to bring a smile to a child who could really use one right about now.