Friday, July 8, 2016

August do.Good Stitches blocks

My next month as quilter for the Emerge circle of do.Good Stitches was originally supposed to be July, but we bumped it back to squeeze in the heart quilt for #QuiltsforPulse. Still, since I already had my fabric pulled and my blocks done, I thought I'd go ahead and post the blocks for August in case my beemates wanted to get a head start.

As usual, I waffled between half a million options for this month before finally deciding on a block. (It's hard when you're only the quilter twice a year, and it feels like you have to take full advantage of the opportunity. I know, I know, it's not that big a deal.) Anyway, after scrolling through my extensive quilting Pinterest board, I finally happened upon this awesome string quilt by Amy of Badskirt and decided to run with it.
Photo courtesy of Amy of Badskirt

Although I love Amy's color scheme, I decided to take mine in a summery direction, combining aqua, teal, mustard yellow, and fuchsia with lots of low volumes. I love this palette so much. It's just so happy. Makes me want to eat a popsicle and lie by the pool.
I'm asking my beemates to each make 3 blocks (they're small and go together very quickly) using this tutorial from Film in the Fridge. The finished blocks will measure 8.5" square, so I recommend using a piece of printer paper as the backing and just cutting the 11" side down to 8.5". Easy as pie.

I would like all of the strips to be 2.25" wide. Each strip needs to be at least as long as noted below to cover the paper.

The strings should be laid out in this order (from point to point):
-Low volume (3.75")
-Color 1 (6.75")
-Color 1 (10.5")
-Low volume (This will be the middle strip, and you'll work your way out to each end from here) (12.5")
-Color 2 (10.5")
-Color 2 (6.75")
-Low volume (3.75")
The colored strips that go side-by-side (Color 1 and Color 2) should come from the same color family (two yellows, two pinks, or two aquas/teals), as shown in my examples, but feel free to use whichever of the three colors you want to combine. So you could do pink and yellow:
Or teal and pink:
Or teal and yellow. I plan to add some skinny sashing to the final blocks, but they'll line up something like this:
I can't wait to see what I get back for this one! I'm going to have fun putting it together.

1 comment:

Got something to say? I'd love to hear it! Thanks for commenting. (All comments are moderated, so it may take a little while for yours to appear. Just hit "Publish," and I'll take care of the rest.)