Monday, February 29, 2016

Garment sewing: Esme tank

Bolstered by the success of my Washi top, I quickly dove into making another shirt for myself, this time a take on the Esme tunic from Lotta Jansdotter's wonderful new book, Everyday Style. I am in love.
This top went together so quickly, especially after mastering some of the techniques, like bias-tape facing, in my Washi top. I used the top version of the shirt from the book but left off the cap sleeves, opting instead for a simple sleeveless silhouette. I used the bias-tape facing technique to finish the exposed armholes.
Because the facing for the neckline is stitched down, I didn't have to bother with the understitching or staystitching used on the Washi top, and I love how easily it slips over my head and lays properly. The fabric is Pattern Guides in Navy from Rashida Coleman-Hale's Macrame collection. It's a heavier-weight quilting cotton, but it's so delightfully soft and has just the right amount of structure for this style of top.
Other than the sleeves (or lack thereof), the only other change I made was shortening the hem a bit. As it is, the shirt is a tad on the short side, and the hem proposed in the pattern would have taken another 1/2" or so off. Next time, I think I may lengthen the pattern just a bit.
I want to make a whole summer wardrobe of Esme tanks in a million fabrics. I'll definitely be putting the sleeved top and tunic versions of the shirt on my to-do list as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say? I'd love to hear it! Thanks for commenting. (All comments are moderated, so it may take a little while for yours to appear. Just hit "Publish," and I'll take care of the rest.)