Friday, February 19, 2016

Garment sewing: Washi dress

I made a real, live shirt, and it actually fits! This project has lingered at the bottom of my to-do list for far too long, and I'm so glad I finally busted it out.
 
The pattern is the tunic version of the Washi Dress by Rae Hoesktra (Made by Rae), which was super popular when she released it a few years ago. I bought the pattern but then never worked up the courage to actually make it. I bought this fabric (Morse Dot in Blue from Katarina Roccella's Imprint collection) last summer in the hopes of getting it done in time for my little sister's bridal shower and then her wedding, but it wasn't meant to be.
Finally, a few weeks ago, I was between projects and decided it couldn't wait any longer. On the whole, it went together really easily. Being pretty new to garment sewing, I learned a lot of new techniques (some of which I had to look up because the pattern offered little explanation), including understitching, bias tape facing, darts, and shirring (that was a bugger to get started).

I finished the inside seams with the overlock foot on my Janome. Who needs a serger?
I'm so pleased with the fit and already have plans for some more new garments. In fact, I've already finished another shirt -- what!? Who am I? (Don't worry, I have a finished quilt post coming up, too.)

1 comment:

Got something to say? I'd love to hear it! Thanks for commenting. (All comments are moderated, so it may take a little while for yours to appear. Just hit "Publish," and I'll take care of the rest.)