As you may recall from earlier posts, I asked my beemates to make two blocks, one with a teal log cabin and one with a lime green one. They then added low volume fabrics around their log cabins in an improv style, and I pieced them all together, adding more low volume fabrics as needed (since the blocks weren't all the same size).
I debated on how to quilt it for a long time. In reality, it probably needed an allover free-motion quilt design, but I didn't have the courage to try, so then I planned to do a randomly spaced crosshatch, similar to what I did on the Austin House quilt.
But after I finished the vertical lines, it seemed like it was going to be too much (design wise) to do the horizontal lines, so I figured it was time to edit myself and just stop. I think it works with the quilt design well enough, but it didn't turn out quite like I hoped.
Still, I'm quite happy with the quilt overall. I think it's bright and happy and contains some really fun "I spy" fabrics: pencils, newsprint, kitties, mice, and lots more.
For the backing, I pulled more teal and green from my stash (no shortage of those colors), along with the perfect ginghams from Tucker Prairie (foxtail and saltgrass). I love a good pieced backing. The binding is the perfect teal Netorious print from Cotton + Steel.The final quilt measures 58" x 70". I'll be donating it to the local chapter of Project Linus, so I hope it brings some joy to an older kid.