Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Austin House quilt: A finish!

I'm so excited to finally reveal my latest quilt finish. It took a while for the clouds to go away so I could get some decent pics, but here's the Austin House quilt!
When I first saw Carolyn Friedlander's Austin House quilt in posts from last spring's Quilt Market, I knew it would be perfect for the hubby (he's a big fan of mid-century modern architecture), and I couldn't wait for the pattern release. I'd been thinking about making a new wall hanging for his office (the Oxford Comma quilt, while cute, just doesn't really reflect me as a quilter anymore, and I figured he was ready for something new), and I knew this would be perfect.
This is such a fun pattern and so well written! Though I love Carolyn's aesthetic, I'd never actually made one of her patterns, so it was nice to discover that they're as clear and precise as you'd expect. (I'm taking a class with her in September for the Catenary quilt, and I can't wait!)
After much debate (and eventually consulting the hubby, though I'd originally planned for the quilt to be a surprise), I decided to make each house different. The fabrics are almost all from Carolyn's collections (Architextures, Doe, and Botanics), with just a few extras thrown in, and they fit this quilt so perfectly. I like that each house has its own style, but they're all very cohesive. It was a lot of fun picking the fabrics for each little piece.
The sashing is Essex Yarn Dyed in Chambray. I really love this color for a subtle background (seen previously in my Fancy Fox II quilt), and I think it pairs perfectly here. I used another Architextures print for the binding and a Doe print and old Michael Miller dot from my stash for the backing.
I decided to quilt it using white thread in a random ledger design, which mimicked the Architextures ledger and schematic prints under two of the houses. I think it adds some interest without distracting from the houses.
The hubby sent me a text this morning with a picture of it hanging in his office, so I guess we can call this one a success!

Linking up to Sew Cute Tuesday and Fabric Tuesday.


2 comments:

  1. Love, love, love your beautiful new quilt! Admittedly, part of the reason is we live in a home of this style and we have been living there and loving it for more than 40 years! If you would like to see a pic of our home, which we had built for us in 1973), I would be happy to send you one if you would share an email address with me. Mine is judsturm@frontier.com.

    Thanks for showing us this gorgeous quilt! Perhaps I need to try this pattern some day--it would be so appropriate. Love the colors you have selected!

    Best, Judy Sturm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jessica! This quilt is fantastic! I love your colours and fabrics - eveything goes together so well! This is perfect wall quilt! x Teje

    ReplyDelete

Got something to say? I'd love to hear it! Thanks for commenting. (All comments are moderated, so it may take a little while for yours to appear. Just hit "Publish," and I'll take care of the rest.)