Monday, October 5, 2015

Applique workshop with Carolyn Friedlander

A few weeks ago, I got the chance to participate in another great workshop opportunity, this time with Carolyn Friedlander, another one of my favorite designers. There was a meet and greet on Friday to kick off the weekend, but unfortunately, I sprained my ankle pretty badly earlier in the day and had to spend the night on the couch reading Carolyn's book instead.
Luckily, I was able to hobble to the workshop the next afternoon, which was for a hand sewing project, so that worked out well. I propped up my foot and started taking it all in.
I was so glad to see that Carolyn had also brought all of her quilts to the workshop space, so I was still able to see and touch them up close. Her workmanship and use of color are simply amazing. I think "Aerial Grove" (just below) may be my fave.
 
I had signed up for the Catenary workshop because it was all about learning needle-turn applique. I rarely hand sew and have no real confidence in my ability to do so, so I figured if I was ever going to learn, this was my chance. And I'm so glad I did!
Carolyn was a wonderful teacher and such a sweet person. She patiently showed each of us (sometimes multiple times) just what to do and then circulated, making sure to touch base with everyone to check in and provide encouragement. For perhaps the first time ever, I actually enjoyed hand sewing and can't wait to keep working on this project, which I plan to make into a mini quilt. And I couldn't resist picking up a few more of her paper-piecing projects while I was at it. Austin House was too fun to not try another one. Look at those shirts!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say? I'd love to hear it! Thanks for commenting. (All comments are moderated, so it may take a little while for yours to appear. Just hit "Publish," and I'll take care of the rest.)