Tuesday, January 27, 2015

State quilts roundup (or Texas Forever, part two)

I finished my own Texas Forever quilt back in December, but of course, as often happens with these things, as soon as I finished it, I started discovering a whole host of other Texas and state quilts (designs, patterns, and quilt alongs!) out there. If only I'd known about some of these before I started mine, I might have saved myself a lot of time and math. Ha! But at least mine is still an original. Still, I thought others might be interested in a roundup of sorts, in case you're looking to start or be inspired to create your own state quilt.
As I mentioned in my original post, I was inspired by my own I ♥ Texas pillow, the Texas Forever quilt created by Corinne of Must Love Quilts (you can find the pattern here), and this awesome Texas quilt by Dana Michaelson, which was featured at QuiltCon 2013.
Image courtesy of Must Love Quilts
Image courtesy of See How We Sew..., quilt by Dana Michaelson

The real killer was when I discovered this Texas Roadtrip Quilt Along hosted by Melissa of My Fabric Relish and Cristina of Pretty Little Quilts this past summer. They, too, were inspired by Dana's quilt above and, along with several other bloggers, created their own version complete with special blocks celebrating some of the big cities in the state. I'm particularly fond of this Texas Star block created by Ashley at Urban Spools for Dallas. You can check out several versions of the quilt here, but I think this AMH version of the quilt by Hilary at Young Texan Mama is particularly fabulous.
Image courtesy of Young Texan Mama

Finally, I stumbled across this lovely Ohio quilt from Devon at Miss Make. This is the second of two Ohio quilts she made (the other one is here), and she created a tutorial for how she made them, which could easily be translated to make quilts of other states if you're handy with Photoshop.
Image courtesy of Miss Make

And if Ohio's your thing, Nancy of The Fabric Studio created a pattern based on the Miss Make Ohio quilt, which can be purchased here.

So what about you? Have you made a quilt to celebrate your favorite state or know someone who has? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say? I'd love to hear it! Thanks for commenting. (All comments are moderated, so it may take a little while for yours to appear. Just hit "Publish," and I'll take care of the rest.)