Friday, September 13, 2013

Ohio Log Cabin Mini Quilt finished!

The Ohio Log Cabin Mini Quilt is finally finished and just under the deadline for the Ohio Star challenge, which is due at the St. Louis Modern Quilt Guild meeting tomorrow (though I won't be attending, sadly, because I'm posting this from the road)!
I'm so pleased with how this little lady turned out. The quilt measures about 28" square and is composed of a 16" Ohio Star block surrounded by randomly pieced log cabin rows in various aqua, lime green, and gray fabrics.
After much debate, I decided to quilt it using a light teal thread because I liked how it popped, especially on the solid gray sections (a few on the front and most of the backing).
The quilting was a bit random, though there was some method to my madness. I started by outlining the inside of the four solid gray blocks in the star. I then quilted an "X" of two diagonal lines across the front and one line inside the outside edge of each log cabin row, and that's where I planned to stop, but it didn't seem quite finished.
So I added a triangle on each side, using the patterned gray triangle pieces to determine the "points." I love the way it filled in the side sections.
The quilt was destined for the wall of our downstairs guest space, but I didn't want to use a hanging sleeve and rod, so I decided to add a hanging strap (for lack of a better term) instead. I used some of the binding material and added a little piece of one of the aqua fabrics from the quilt.
The quilting shows up really well on the back, which I just love, and while it's hard to tell in these pics, up close the teal thread looks great against the gray.
For the binding, I decided on Leaves in Gray from Stof's wonderful Pure collection. I used a few bits of this fabric on the front, but I love how different it looks on the binding, where it looks almost like a dashed line or really big dot. I think it totally transforms the fabric.
And to top it all off, the hubby was so impressed with how this turned out that he asked if I'd do a wall hanging for his office. An excuse to buy fabric and start another project? Um, yes, I think I can handle that.

6 comments:

  1. It looks wonderful, and I like your choice of teal thread. Hope to see this at Show & Tell next month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great! Wish you could've been there to show it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This turned out great! Missed you at the meeting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really pretty and great color combo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. the gray fabric with white lines, do you know the designer or name of it?

    ReplyDelete

Got something to say? I'd love to hear it! Thanks for commenting. (All comments are moderated, so it may take a little while for yours to appear. Just hit "Publish," and I'll take care of the rest.)