Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Fading Star quilt: A finish!

We've got back-to-back quilt finishes this week. If you've been following for a while, you saw this one progress over the past few months in little snippets each week. I'm happy to finally reveal the Fading Star quilt!
The idea for this quilt rattled around in my head for months, going through a number of versions before I finally settled on this one. I loved the idea of starting with a traditional block and then breaking it down into its elements, making them fade away until the block eventually "dissolved" into the background.
After auditioning several blocks, I decided to start with the traditional poinsettia block (which read as a star to me, hence the quilt's name) and then began to chip away at it, with each rendition of the block including new sections that faded to a lighter shade of teal, and then to an even lighter shade, and eventually to the night sky print (Cotton + Steel's Sprinkle in Counting Stars, appropriately) I used as the background, until only the center point remained.
The teals are Kona Breakers, Cyan, and Aqua. For the backing, I used more of the Sprinkle print and Konas combined with a big piece of the towers print from Lizzy House's 1001 Peeps line that I got for a steal at a LQS a while back. I love these colors so much.
As usual, I debated for forever on how to quilt it. The asymmetry of the quilt design threw me a bit, and I wanted there to be movement in the quilting. I eventually settled on a squared spiral emanating from that last center point. I used a medium teal thread and spaced the lines 2" apart. I brought in the three Konas again for the binding, creating an ombre effect (which is my MO lately, it seems). The quilt finished at 62" square.
I absolutely adore this quilt. It's so nice when an idea really works out the way you see it in your head.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say? I'd love to hear it! Thanks for commenting. (All comments are moderated, so it may take a little while for yours to appear. Just hit "Publish," and I'll take care of the rest.)