I started working on this quilt months ago, making a lot of progress at the STLMQG retreat in October and finishing it up shortly thereafter. I made the quilt for the MQG's QuiltCon 2016 Triangle Quilt Challenge, which was sponsored by EZ Quilting. Everyone who signed up received a small triangle template, and you could make a quilt of any size and any design, as long as you incorporated the triangle template somewhere. I decided to go all in with my template and focused on just that shape.
I wanted to create a real sense of movement with all of the tiny little triangles, so I used three of the ombre fabrics from V & Co. to their full effect, using the template to cut the pieces from every part of the fabric to capture the smallest changes in color. The colors race back and forth across the rows until they converge in the middle. I added an uneven border to give the sense of the quilt being matted in a frame, but I extended the quilting onto the border to highlight the continued ombre effect used in the thread. I used pink, orange, and yellow Aurifil thread, quilted in diagonal lines about 1/2" apart.
For the backing, I incorporated more of the ombre fabrics, as well as the red dot from V & Co.'s Simply Colorful line. I used the red ombre for the binding, which I love.
There are so many seams in these pieces, and it was a real bear to assemble and quilt, but all in all, I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. The final quilt measures 28" x 21" and will likely be added to my growing wall of minis.