Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Another's nursery

About a month ago, my friend Katie (who's having twins any day) asked if I'd make some valances for her nursery. Of course, I jumped at the chance, and after working out the design and all the details, I finally got them sewn up this weekend.

Katie's mom is making the babies' quilts, so they'd already picked out the fabric, and Katie wanted the valances to match. The fabrics are Playday Elephants in Summer by SEI for Robert Kaufman Fabrics and the Red Dot fabric that goes with the collection (sorry I don't know the actual name, but it looks like it's impossible to find online anyway), both purchased from our local quilt shop.
For the valances, I mostly followed the tutorial on Simply Modern Mom, but I didn't do the tabs on the back. Since you fold over the top fabric with enough room for a curtain rod anyway, I didn't see the point in adding separate tabs on the back. I love the way they turned out. (Oh, and there are two valances; the picture above was taken after I'd only made one to test out the measurements.)
I ended up with some extra fabric, so of course I decided to put it to good use. I started off by making a very basic pillow for her rocking chair, and then there was just enough left to make a few taggie blankets.
I hope Katie, Chris, and the babies love them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say? I'd love to hear it! Thanks for commenting. (All comments are moderated, so it may take a little while for yours to appear. Just hit "Publish," and I'll take care of the rest.)