Sunday, September 13, 2015

One deluxe pincushion

After returning from our Labor Day travels, I wanted a quick one-night project of something I didn't have to think about too much, so I turned to the Deluxe Pincushion from the wonderful book Sew Organized for the Busy Girl by Heidi Staples of Fabric Mutt.
It came together so easily and turned out so cute. The original pattern uses 9 small squares for the patchwork, but I wanted to use a few more Rhoda Ruth mini charms left over from the mini I made a while back, so I pieced together four mini charms and then cut them down to the finished size in the pattern.
They're surrounded in some Essex Yarn Dyed in Steel. For the inside of the pocket, I used a favorite print from Anna Maria Horner's True Colors collection (Sealing Wax in Amethyst), and I used a fun hexie print for the main body, but I can't seem to find the name of it.
I did a little crosshatch quilting on the outside pocket to finish it off. The instructions were very well written, and it all went together quite smoothly. I love that she has you topstitch the entire outside perimeter, which meant I didn't have to handstitch the opening closed. The only change I'd make next time would be to quilt just the outside of the pocket and the batting before attaching it to the inside pocket fabric (instead of quilting all three layers), which I think would make for a cleaner finish. It would also be a good opportunity for a little quilt-as-you-go scrappiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say? I'd love to hear it! Thanks for commenting. (All comments are moderated, so it may take a little while for yours to appear. Just hit "Publish," and I'll take care of the rest.)