Thursday, April 16, 2015

Into the Woods baby quilt: A finish!

The Into the Woods baby quilt is finished!
I more or less followed the free Hi(bear)nate pattern from Art Gallery, though I used smaller triangles and almost no border to bring the quilt down from a throw size to a baby quilt size. The final quilt measures 41" x 46".
I pulled the mix of fabrics from a few collections, mostly Winged and Hello Bear, with some Lizzy House thrown in. The teal binding is Prisma Element in Pagoda Gem. (Turns out Art Gallery fabrics play really nicely together. They are also the the softest fabrics ever. I may have to use AG fabrics for all of my baby quilts from now on. So cuddly.) I originally chose it because the color worked nicely with the prints in the quilt, and I thought the design would make a nice binding. It was only after I finished the quilt that the hubby pointed out that the triangles also mimicked the design of the quilt. Duh. Turns out I'm a genius even when I'm not trying.
The background fabric on the front is Confetti Dots in Stone (I think). For the backing, I mostly used the main print from Hello Bear so I could show off all those cute animals, but I wanted to break it up a little, so I inserted a rainbow strip made from the fabrics on the front of the quilt. I love how it turned out.
Cute little animal family (I asked B to point to the fox, natch.)
I quilted it using white thread, first outlining the triangles and then adding an "echo" zigzag between the sets of triangles. I machine bound the quilt using my normal technique and slipped one of my new labels into the binding on the back.
She's all wrapped up and ready to head to her new home. I'll be sorry to see this soft little beauty leave, but I hope her tiny new owner loves her as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say? I'd love to hear it! Thanks for commenting. (All comments are moderated, so it may take a little while for yours to appear. Just hit "Publish," and I'll take care of the rest.)