Sunday, August 31, 2014

Flippin' Triangle baby quilt: A finish!

Well, as I mentioned, during all of the non-blogging, I have been doing some sewing. If you follow me on Instagram, you've seen some sneak pics of this quilt, but I finally finished the Flippin' Triangle baby quilt last week!
I've been looking for an excuse to try out the stitch and flip technique used in Quilting Modern, and after much debate, I decided to try it out in this little quilt to celebrate a friend's new baby girl. The diamonds are taken from the Blind Co-Pilot quilt in the book. That quilt uses several different stitch and flip shapes, but I decided to focus on the diamonds in a more traditional layout.

I used prints and solids in my current (and lingering) girly color combo obsession -- pinks, coral, and orange -- in a very scrappy style. Each diamond was laid out in a very improv manner. My original plan was to add a full border to each diamond wish sashing to separate the blocks, but after laying them out, I decided I liked the look of the bigger border around the set of diamonds. After consulting IG, I added an additional linen border to increase the size of the quilt and separate the scrappy border from the scrappy binding.
The pieced backing uses a bit of the linen, two prints from the front, and one coordinating print. I quilted it with white thread in a radiating diamond shape. I quilted the lines about 2.5" apart to keep the quilt nice and soft for the baby. As always, I attached the binding by machine.
Ah, look at those mitered corners!
I definitely had my reservations as this quilt was coming together. I'm never very confident when I do improv, and I was pretty sure I was going to hate the quilt with each block I made, but as it came together and the borders were added, I did a total 180 and really love the final product. I hope the little one and her mommy do, too.
I'm linking up to the Craft Book Sew-Along at Live.Love.Create.
Craft Book Sew Along at Live. Love. Create.

1 comment:

Got something to say? I'd love to hear it! Thanks for commenting. (All comments are moderated, so it may take a little while for yours to appear. Just hit "Publish," and I'll take care of the rest.)