Saturday, April 20, 2013

A cheery little basket

Yay, finally a sewing post! Sorry, I know most of you are probably here for the sewing and keep thinking, "Dang! How many pictures can she post of that amazingly cute kid?" Am I right? No? Well, there will be more of those to come (It's springtime! We can go outside!), but for today, you get sewing.
I love, love, LOVE this divided basket, which I finished last night. Like most of my projects, it has been on my to do list for forever, so it was so nice to finally pound it out. I love how cheery and happy it is, perfect for this beautiful spring day.
The pattern is the Divided Basket Pattern from the ever-wonderful Anna Graham of the Noodlehead blog. I bought the pattern months ago, and the pdf has been sitting on my desktop ever since, taunting me. "When, oh when are you going to make me?"
And if you follow sewing blogs (which, if you're here, there's a good chance you do), you've seen these guys popping up everywhere. Each time I saw one, I knew I had to make mine like NOW.
The basket is super sturdy, with both interfacing and a fleece lining. The divider in the middle is pretty easy to install, and you finish it off with a great pocket on the front. I will definitely be making more of these very soon. Like all of Anna's work, the pattern was very detailed, clear, and easy to follow.
The fabric is from the Timeless Treasures Fruit Punch collection (I think I originally bought it at Hawthorne Threads, but you can still find it a few places around the Interwebs), and I've been hoarding it for years, not really sure what to use it for but loving it so much. A bit of it popped up in a Kindle sleeve I made for my MIL (you can find my tutorial here), but I couldn't bear to cut into the big fruit pattern.
When I bought the divided basket pattern, I knew the fabric would be perfect for a basket for B's felt food and cooking items (all from Ikea, in case you're wondering).
See? So cute! And a huge improvement over the falling-apart cardboard box they used to be in.
Who wants to play?

2 comments:

  1. I love this SO much! The fabric, its purpose, the shape, EVERYTHING. Great job! You always make me want to sew stuff for myself instead of my shop, so keep posting and maybe one of these days I actually will. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That's actually the exact reason why I don't have an Etsy shop. People always ask me about it, and right now, I have so little time for sewing and so many things I want to sew for myself, gifts, etc., that I couldn't possibly do all of that and put in the work necessary to have a successful shop. It seems like yours is going really well, though. I love your stuff, and I hope you're able to find a little time for some "selfish" sewing soon. :)

      Delete

Got something to say? I'd love to hear it! Thanks for commenting. (All comments are moderated, so it may take a little while for yours to appear. Just hit "Publish," and I'll take care of the rest.)