Thursday, March 22, 2012

Fly a Kite baby quilt finished!

I teased you about this project several weeks ago, and it's finally time for the big reveal.
I finished my second quilt — the Fly a Kite baby quilt, which I made for Lucy, my friend Rachel's daughter, due this June.
I got to see Rachel when we were in Texas, and I was so happy I was able to give her the quilt in person.
I love the way it turned out. It's pink and orange and so girly but without making you sick. :)
The front is made of various prints from Riley Blake's Fly a Kite collection, paired with a pinkish-red solid. The sashing is Kona Bone.
I did a very simple straight line quilt outlining each row of fabrics on the front in pink.
For the binding, I used store bought bias tape, which I will never do again. I made my own for my first finished quilt, and I'll definitely go back to doing that for my next quilt. I loved the color of the store bought, but it was so stiff and just not very easy to work with.
The back is a madras fabric I got from Hancock about a year ago. I love how simple and colorful it is.
I used Oh Fransson's Charm Squares quilt pattern, and it worked out great. I didn't actually have charm squares, so I had to cut my own, but it was super easy and really came together quickly.
This project really got me itching to do some more quilting, so maybe I can finally get around to finishing my Kitchen Window/Early Bird quilt.
For now, I really hope little Lucy likes her quilt. I can't wait to meet you, Lucy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say? I'd love to hear it! Thanks for commenting. (All comments are moderated, so it may take a little while for yours to appear. Just hit "Publish," and I'll take care of the rest.)