Saturday, January 1, 2011

Pretty new bag

I made this bag back in the Fall. You may remember this bag that I made for one of my mom's coworkers, and she liked it so much that she asked me to make another one in a different shape. She wanted something more like a slim tote, with a long, skinny handle, a simple pocket, and a snap to close it. So I created this:
I got the general measurements and basic techniques for the tote from a great book called Bend-the-Rules Sewing. Matt got it for me when I was just starting out, and it's really helpful for beginners. I also finally learned how to make a lined pocket (it's so simple and easy, it's ridiculous that I didn't do it before) and used it for the first time on this bag. It was also the first sew-in snap I'd done, and it turned out pretty good.
I wanted to add a bit more room and depth to the tote, so I boxed the corners, which I learned to do on this bag. (The pattern in the book doesn't do this.) Finally, I finished it off with a strap of my own creation. I took two lengths of double-fold bias tape and adhered them using a strip of Steam-A-Seam 2. Then, I stitched two lines down the length of it in contrasting thread to match the red of the bag fabric. It was plenty sturdy for anything she'd want to carry in the tote, but it was still thin and something different. I really liked the way it turned out. The fabrics were both from Joann's, but I'm sorry to say I can't remember what they were.
She liked the bag so much that she asked me to make another just like it. This one will be green on the lining and black and white outside. I'm sure you'll see it soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say? I'd love to hear it! Thanks for commenting. (All comments are moderated, so it may take a little while for yours to appear. Just hit "Publish," and I'll take care of the rest.)