Tuesday, November 28, 2017

STL Traveling 7: Traveling quilt 2017

This year, I decided to join another traveling quilt group with some of my STLMQG buds, and boy has it been fun. Unlike last year's quilt (which is actually still going on due to some scheduling issues in the group), this group isn't secret, so we've been able to share the progress of our quilts on Instagram (#stltraveling7), which has been really fun to see. I'll be sharing my additions to the other quilts here as well. But first up is my quilt!
Back over the summer, I got my hands on a fat-eighth bundle of April Rhodes's Observer collection and decided to use it as the basis for my starter block and color scheme: off-white, tan, mustard gold, navy, blue-gray, light blue, and denim.
I pulled in a few more coordinating fabrics from Carolyn Friedlander and Cotton + Steel and went to town on a paper-pieced block I designed called Stacked Diamonds (I'm hoping to make it available soon). Eight templates combine to create a 16" finished block.
I put together a color card to send along with my block, as well as the rest of the fat-eighth bundle. I also suggested the other group members add their own fabrics, noting that some Essex Linen and chambray would be nice.
I chose "Layered" as my theme and told the others they could interpret it however they saw fit. So far, the progress has been really interesting, and I'm always anxious to see what will pop up next!

1 comment:

Got something to say? I'd love to hear it! Thanks for commenting. (All comments are moderated, so it may take a little while for yours to appear. Just hit "Publish," and I'll take care of the rest.)