Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Fall table runner

Ever since I saw (and bought) this super cute fall print by Pen & Paint last year, I've dreamt of a fall table runner in similar colors. I love that it uses the fall "standards" -- reddish orange, golden yellow, tan -- but then pops in the unexpected teal and bright blue. So this fall, I decided I was finally going to make it happen, and I'm so happy with the result.
The center panel is a delicious print (Reflect in natural) from Carolyn Friedlander's Euclid line, printed on Essex yarn-dyed linen. I kept it simple by just lining the outside with a patchwork of prints.

For the quilting, I outlined the seams on every few prints to create a generously spaced crosshatch.
I like my table runners to be reversible (because why not?), so this was the perfect opportunity to use this fabulous Cotton + Steel Halloween print (Lil Monsters Party in mint) I'd been hoarding for a Halloween-y but not too Halloween-y look (I don't really decorate for Halloween).
I had exactly one-third of a yard of the print, so I cut the Euclid linen on the front to the same size. Then, I surrounded the Halloween print with a border of Essex Homespun in navy in the same dimensions as the patchwork on the front, so the quilting would all line up.

I stuck with the Essex Homespun for the binding because it looked great on both sides, but I wanted to add a little something to the back, so I finished it off with some big-stitch quilting on the binding to make it pop. I love the little orange border it created.
I gotta say, I'm going to be pretty reluctant to take this one off the table for Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say? I'd love to hear it! Thanks for commenting. (All comments are moderated, so it may take a little while for yours to appear. Just hit "Publish," and I'll take care of the rest.)