Thursday, June 25, 2015

Quilt prep: solid stashing

Any casual reader of this blog or follower on Instagram knows I am an Elizabeth Hartman super fan. I've made countless quilts, bags, and pouches from her patterns, I love her design aesthetic and use of color, and I respect and appreciate how well thought out and detailed her patterns always are. I'm in the midst of an ongoing quilt project from her latest book, Patchwork City, but two other quilts of hers have been high on my to-do list since they came out: Aviatrix Medallion and Allie Owl.
I'm never terribly confident in my fabric selections, so I dawdled for a long time trying to decide what I wanted to use for these two. Finally, I decided I loved the originals so much that I would probably regret trying to use anything else. Knowing the two patterns (which helpfully include the names of the colors Elizabeth used in her original quilts) used a similar palette and wanting to maximize my purchase, I created a new color "bundle" using most of the original colors from the Aviatrix Medallion quilt but making a few switches to account for differences between the two patterns and a few colors that were out of stock.
Isn't it gorgeous!? All of the solids were purchased from Stash Fabrics, an online store that is awesome enough to stock all 303 current Kona solids. They were also super helpful and labeled each color (I assume they always do this for solids; I didn't ask for it).
For others who might be interested (and my own future reference), I thought I'd list the colors I will be using. With only one exception (noted below), they are all Kona colors (from top to bottom in the picture above):
Graphite*
Pewter*
Shale*
Shadow*
Seafoam*
Thistle
Pansy
Wisteria (subbed for Violet in original pattern)
Cerise
Celestial
Glacier**
Cyan
Breakers
Emerald
Blue Grass
Pool
Aqua
Peapod
Wasabi
Corn Yellow
Peach
Mango
Cotton Couture Tangerine (non-Kona color subbed for Kona Carrot)
Flame
Pomegranate (subbed for Valentine in original pattern)
Tomato

*The gray solids are only included in the Aviatrix Medallion quilt.
**Glacier is actually just an extra color I ordered and will not be included in these quilts.

I'm so excited to finally get started on these quilts. Time to start cutting these beauties up!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say? I'd love to hear it! Thanks for commenting. (All comments are moderated, so it may take a little while for yours to appear. Just hit "Publish," and I'll take care of the rest.)