Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Birch triangle baby quilt: A finish!

Hey, guys! Sorry for my absence over the past few weeks. We traveled for Memorial Day, and I've been busy with projects in the sewing room, so it's been hard to find time to get back here. But at least I came back with a finish! Introducing the Birch triangle baby quilt!
I am in love with this little quilt. It is destined for a friend's new baby, and I struggled mightily to decide what design to make. I knew I wanted to spotlight these fabulous little prints from Birch's Just for Fun collection, but I didn't want them to overwhelm the quilt. I also wanted something classic yet modern. After looking through Pinterest, Instagram, and a million Google searches, I'd basically decided to just do a simple, classic square patchwork, but after finishing the Into the Woods quilt, I had triangles on the brain and decided that was the way to go. And I LOVE it.
I randomly paired the Birch prints with three Moda Bella solids (Prussian Blue, Teal, and Eggshell). I cut the equilateral triangles 5.5" tall and then laid them all out on my design wall (ahem, basement floor) until I was happy with the layout.
I quilted it using an off-white thread about .25" off of each seam line, and I love the simple crosshatch effect, which also shows up nicely on the backing, which is a large piece of the most perfect teal, white, and red flannel that's been sitting in my stash for years. So glad I finally found a way to use it! For the binding, I used the multicolor polka dot from the Birch collection with a small strip of the dark blue solid. I also sneaked in one of my new labels.

I love how sophisticated and happy it is all at once.  I mean, look at those mustaches! Here's hoping the little guy and his mommy love it, too.

3 comments:

  1. Love how this turned out Jessica!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a gorgeous little quilt! I love the layout with the random triangles of prints. Definitely a sophisticated baby quilt!

    ReplyDelete

Got something to say? I'd love to hear it! Thanks for commenting. (All comments are moderated, so it may take a little while for yours to appear. Just hit "Publish," and I'll take care of the rest.)