Sunday, August 25, 2013

Babies gotta look good, too

Ties! Lots and lots of ties! If you follow me regularly, you've seen some sneak peeks of these ties over the last few weeks (here and here), but I couldn't resist sharing a few more money shots.
I've made a lot of tie onesies before, but these all use a new technique using snaps instead of applique, so the tie hangs loose except at the top. (You can see some of my past applique tie shirts here and here.) The ties are attached using snaps, so they're interchangeable on the onesies.
I first saw someone do this at a craft fair in Dallas last Christmas. (I'd love to give her credit, but I have no idea who she is, and I haven't found anything like these online. But thank you for the idea, anonymous lady!)
Since I couldn't find a tutorial for these, I made it up as I went along. Lucky for you, I'm working on making up a tutorial so you can do them, too.
This green one was my trial run, so I kept it for Beckett. It uses larger sizing (18 months), which I didn't get quite right the first time around, so I'm working on fixing that for the tutorial.
Fabrics: The onesies in this post are all from H&M (a great resource for affordable organic onesies). B's navy tie was made using Joel Dewberry's Herringbone in Lake.
The other ties were gift sets for friends with new little men in their lives. This set was for our friends Anna and Josh, whose son Emerson was born in May.
I love this gingham for boy gifts (previously used in these Quick Change Trousers/bib/burp cloth and this bib/burp cloth combos). So classic.

Fabrics: The striped tie is in Ann Kelle's Remix Stripes in Royal cut on the bias, and the navy gingham was purchased from Joann's a while back.
This set was for my fabulous cousin Savannah and her husband Brent. Their precious son Josh was born in April.
I love how the ikat print turned out, and I can't get enough of this argyle. "Adult" prints on baby items = too cute.
Snap it off and change it out.
Fabrics: The green tie was made using Ann Kelle's Remix Argyle in Lime, and the ikat print, well, I can't seem to find the name of it. This was a scrap left over from making this bag, but apparently I didn't identify the print in that post either. Yeesh. Comment if you know what it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say? I'd love to hear it! Thanks for commenting. (All comments are moderated, so it may take a little while for yours to appear. Just hit "Publish," and I'll take care of the rest.)