Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Mug rug redo

Yay! It's fixed ... and finished! If you were around last week, you'll remember this post, in which I lamented a bad binding decision on a mug rug I was working on. I asked for your advice on binding fabric options, and you came through, both here and on Facebook. People overwhelmingly chose Options 1 and 3, with a slight preference for 1.
 

I was intrigued by the result since not one person chose Option 2, which might have actually been my favorite initially. I liked how it tied in both the navy and the aqua. But I guess I was overruled. (And since I also chose the original not-so-great binding, I figured it would be wise to take the advice I'd asked for. Clearly, I can't be trusted.) When Lynne suggested the navy with a little piece of the original pink binding, I was sold.
I actually love pieced bindings (see here and here), so I'm surprised the idea didn't occur to me before, but I'm so glad Lynne suggested it.
I love just the little hint of pink (just like in the fabrics), and I think the navy Remix ovals were the perfect binding. The other fabrics are all from the Happy Go Lucky collection, which I previewed here.
I had also complained that the original binding was too thick (and, as a result, wasn't applied very well), so I sought out a way to fix it on the redo and found this great tutorial for using single-fold binding. It works so much better on small projects like mug rugs! I also made the binding a bit skinnier.
I quilted it in an offset square. Starting a little off-center, I made a square on one side and then nested smaller and larger squares on each side. When I could no longer nest on the far side, I just did vertical straight lines. (Side note: Photographing light aqua fabrics and thread is really hard! Sorry if you can't see them very well.)
 This baby's headed in the mail tomorrow. Thanks again for your help!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say? I'd love to hear it! Thanks for commenting. (All comments are moderated, so it may take a little while for yours to appear. Just hit "Publish," and I'll take care of the rest.)