Wednesday, June 7, 2017

QuiltCon 2017

Yes, yes, yes, QuiltCon was back in February, but I was sad that I'd never written a post about my lovely experience, and I wanted to make sure it got documented one way or another. This year's QuiltCon was in Savannah, which made for an exciting destination on top of the quilting fun. I spent my first afternoon wandering around downtown, taking in the beautiful architecture and enjoying some delicious sweet tea.
Fun hoop wall in the hallway outside one of the local fabric stores
Our hotel was on the opposite side of the channel from downtown, so we had to take a ferry back and forth. But just look at that view. The weather was absolutely gorgeous while we were there.
That night, I started off easy with an embroidery workshop with Alison Glass. She's just as lovely and laid back as you'd imagine, and it was a relaxing evening of hand sewing (and learning). We worked on a fun needlebook design, which I desperately need to get back to.
The next day started the first of two full days of classes with Carolyn Friedlander (I know, I'm a super fan). The first day was on precision paper piecing, basically an advanced paper piecing class that focused on how to fussy cut fabrics, make the most of really small pieces, and work with directional prints.
My finished blocks (another project I'd really like to get back to)
Carolyn's fun sample
The second day was a machine quilting class. I love Carolyn's style of quilting and was really jazzed to get some of her insight into how she plans out her quilting, as well as the nitty gritty of actually doing it. It had been quite a while since I'd done free-motion quilting, and I needed a kick in the butt (and a boost of confidence) to give it another shot. This class was just the ticket.
When I wasn't in class, I spent most of my time perusing the trade floor and quilt show. There were so many beautiful quilts on display this year, but I'll try to focus in on some of my favorites.
"Bling" by Katherine Jones (@twocatsquilts), the "best in show" winner, was insanely awesome. The pictures simply don't do it justice.
 It was fun to see the STLMQG's charity quilt hanging, too. Our guild put a lot of work into this baby.
 "Out of the Fog" by Rebecca Cronk (@rebeccacronk71)
 "Reflective Windows" by Rebecca Severt (@creativeblockquilts)
 (all labels clockwise from top left)
Bazaar Quilt by Tara Faughnan (@tarafaughnan)
Scattered by Jess Frost (@elvengardenquilts)
Window No. 1 by Melanie Tuazon (@melintheattic)
Drawn by Angela Walters (@angelafmq)
(Seriously, the quilting on those bottom two was so amazing in person.)
 Autumn is Wistful by Chawne Kimber (@cauchycomplete)
Warp and Weft by Cheryl Brickey (@meadowmistdesigns)
Octagon Shimmer Studio Stash by Jennifer Sampou (@jennifersampou)
Infused Plaid by Cassandra Beaver (@cassandra.beaver)
Cursive by Paige Alexander (@quiltedblooms)
Crossways by Karin Jordan (@karinjordanstudio)
For the Watchers and Dreamers by Kristin Shields (@kristinshields)
Inside Out by Sue Bleiweiss (@suebleiweiss)
 Land and Sea by Andrea Tsang Jackson (@3rdstoryworkshop) (really loved this one; her fabric choices were so money and better appreciated in person)
Pete and Repeat by Amy Struckmeyer (@formwork)
Still With Her by Liz Harvatine (@ladyharvatine)
Prism Waves I by Stefanie Satterwhite (@satterwhitequilts)
Made in GDR 26 by Emily Doane (@missemilytaylor)
Go North by Maritza Soto (@sotosewn)
Modern Stripes by Felicity Ronaghan (@felicityquilts)
Westshire by Julia Williams (@alchemytea)
I even gotten to spend a little time on my last morning doing some embroidery in the Cotton + Steel booth with Alexia Abegg herself. Yes, I'd say it was a lovely few days. Nashville 2019, I'm comin' at ya.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say? I'd love to hear it! Thanks for commenting. (All comments are moderated, so it may take a little while for yours to appear. Just hit "Publish," and I'll take care of the rest.)