Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Pink for a pillow

Until last night, I had seven (yes, seven) pillows in my basement that I wanted to cover. Now I have six.
 
Baby steps, right?
What with all the quilting and other sewing going on around here, my home decorating projects had been pushed further and further down my list, but I'm finally to the point where I can start marking them off, starting with this throw pillow for the guest bed.
This is the first pillow cover I've made in a long time and actually only the second one I've made since I started sewing three years ago, if you can believe it. The guest bed is decorated in gray and lime green, so I wanted to add a pop of another color.
I strip pieced the front using just about every pink fabric in my stash, which made me a little nervous at first (so many pinks!), but I'm really digging the way it turned out.
 
The front was sewn using the quilt-as-you-go technique, which I'd never done before, and it turned out great. I will definitely be using it again.
 
The back is a simple envelope enclosure in the Riley Blake Ombre Dots in Gray. (Side note: has anyone else bought the gray dots online only to discover, much to their annoyance, that the dark end of the spectrum on the fabric is actually black, not dark gray, as I'd assumed? When I buy a gray fabric, I expect it to be gray. Black is not gray. That is all. Thank you for letting me vent.)
I'm loving the bright pinks on this cold winter day.
Hopefully, you'll be seeing a lot more pillows on here in the coming weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say? I'd love to hear it! Thanks for commenting. (All comments are moderated, so it may take a little while for yours to appear. Just hit "Publish," and I'll take care of the rest.)