Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Apple Core quilt: A finish!

In the neverending effort to catch up on unblogged projects, today we have the Apple Core quilt!
I made this baby quilt last fall as a response to the STLMQG's crayon challenge. Participants had to blindly choose three crayons out of a bag and then make something using mostly those colors. All three colors had to be used in some way, and we could add in one additional color (though it couldn't be the focus) and any neutrals we wanted. Considering some of the combinations people drew, mine wasn't too bad.
I fell in love with Pen and Paper Patterns' Apple Core Mini Quilt pattern as soon as I first saw it on Instagram, and these colors seemed like the perfect time to break it out. Knowing I had several baby quilts I needed to queue it up, I went with four of the oversized blocks for a baby size.
They went together pretty quickly during a guild sew-in late last summer. The apple is based on a drunkard's path block, and the seeds and leaf are machine appliqued on.
For the quilting, I went with a simple crosshatch spaced about 2 inches apart. It's quilted in Aurifil white 50wt. The binding is made up of two Carolyn Friedlander crosshatches (which were also used in the apples), mostly the mint green with a little of the poppy. For the backing, I used a fun green and white polka dot from my stash.
I gifted the quilt to my cousin last month for her third little one, who she's expecting any day now, and she loved it, so I couldn't be happier.

1 comment:

  1. The upclose shots are good, really shows the applique details, very neat and precise. I love the apples, so cute, Savvy will really love it! Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete

Got something to say? I'd love to hear it! Thanks for commenting. (All comments are moderated, so it may take a little while for yours to appear. Just hit "Publish," and I'll take care of the rest.)