Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Ebb quilt pillows

On to today's topic: pillows! If you follow me on IG (and a bit here on the blog, here and here), you've seen these pillows come together slowly over the last few months because they're filled with my current hand-sewing obsession: needle-turn applique.
I loved Carolyn Friedlander's Ebb Quilt the minute I saw it (which could basically be said of everything Carolyn does; seriously, that girl is amazing), but I debated for a long time over whether to make a wall hanging like the pattern cover or something more "useful" like pillow covers. But after considering the fact that my couch is desperately in need of a facelift, pillows won out. And then I couldn't stop at just one. I had two 18" pillow forms ready to go, so it was clearly a sign.
I appliqued two covers, one in warmer tones, the other in cool tones. All but one of the fabrics (the citron green leaf print, which is from Denise Schmidt) are from Carolyn's collections: Carkai, Doe, Architextures, and a splash of Botanics. The solid background is Moda Bella Snow (similar to the Kona Meringue Carolyn used in the original).
After many nights of stitching away on the couch, I finally finished the tops and got ready to quilt them. I originally wanted to hand quilt them (which would have been lovely, I'm sure), but I knew in my heart of hearts that if I went with that plan, they probably wouldn't be finished for several more months, and I was ready to start enjoying them, so I went with the machine instead.
I quilted the fronts in a randomly spaced crosshatch, enough to add some interest but not so much that it completely smashed the "puffy" appliques. For the backs, I used four of Carolyn's prints from the fronts.
They're so happy on the couch, and I'm so happy to have them done. I already know what my next applique project will be...

2 comments:

Got something to say? I'd love to hear it! Thanks for commenting. (All comments are moderated, so it may take a little while for yours to appear. Just hit "Publish," and I'll take care of the rest.)