Just under the wire for last weekend's STLMQG meeting, I finished my Riley Blake Challenge quilt, aka the Glam Garlands quilt!
As I alluded to last week, this quilt was WAY more work than I anticipated. It wasn't particularly difficult, but it required so ... much ... pressing and cutting. Each square is made up of a square of color and two rectangles of white, which are attached improvisationally. Next, you have trim off the seam allowances, press the white pieces, and then trim down the square. Finally, put all those squares together and press and press and press.
Still, despite all the work (or perhaps because of it), I'm quite pleased with how it turned out. Obviously, I chose to focus on the gray, navy, and orange fabrics from the RB bundle and used the Glam Garlands pattern from Modern Patchwork for the front of the quilt.
I loved getting to try out one of the quilts from Elizabeth's new book, which I got for Christmas, and it didn't disappoint. Elizabeth's patterns are so clear and well-organized that they're really a pleasure to put together.
The front fabrics are a variety of RB fabrics from the bundle, my stash, and my LQS, combined with Kona White. For the backing, I actually used a navy sheet for my solid and then inserted a pieced strip of leftover orange fabrics, set off with a strip of white above and below.
I quilted it in white thread in an off-center, vertical chevron design. I prefer to space out my quilting lines, so these are 5" apart. The quilt is bound in Kona steel. I really wanted to use another orange fabric, which I thought would be a bold border against the white, but I ran out of fabric and couldn't bring myself to buy more. :) Still, I think the gray worked out well.
The quilt finished at a healthy lap size, and I can't wait to cuddle up under it for some Olympics watching this week. Stay warm!