Monday, January 20, 2014

Bluebird Park Baby Quilt finished!

We've got our first finish of 2014, folks. The Bluebird Park Baby Quilt is finished!
After a bit of panicking early last week, I was actually able to finish it up pretty quickly and in plenty of time for my deadline, the baby shower I helped to host this past Saturday. The quilt was a gift for the little one our lovely friends Buddy and Bridget are expecting next month, and they loved it (success!).
The quilt design is the Cub Crawl Baby Quilt from the Fat Quarterly book Shape Workshop for Quilters. The book is a great collection of individual blocks, along with several projects, including this quilt. I love the simplicity of it, especially for a baby quilt. The pieced back was made of leftover cuts from the front, combined with a few pieces from my stash.
Unfortunately, the weather didn't want to cooperate with me in the days leading up to the shower, and these cloudy-weather pics don't do the colors in the quilt justice. The teal and green solids (both Moda Bella) are both bright and soothing, and the colors throughout the prints are perfect for a baby room (without being dull).
The Bluebird Park collection is such a fun set of cheery, whimsical prints, and the quilt design was a great way to show them off, especially in the boxes surrounded by the solids.
I kept the quilting super simple so as not to distract from the prints, which are really the stars here. I used a teal thread (just a bit darker than the teal solid used in the quilt) and stitched along both sides of the horizontal seams. I bound the quilt with more of the teal solid after deciding a new print would be too chaotic with everything else going on in the quilt. I love the way the teal binding acts as a subtle but perfect frame.
I can't wait to meet the little guy who will hopefully be snuggling up in this one very soon!

P.S. I'm linking up to Kelly's Craft Book Sew-Along over at Live.Love.Create. It always feels good to finish up a project from one of the books on my shelf.
Craft Book Sew Along at Live. Love. Create.

16 comments:

  1. Love this quilt! My favorite colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the prints that you used -- those park benches are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I quilted, this would be something I'd want to make....the colors and fabrics and lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello. Your quilt turned out just beautiful! By any chance do you remember the two colors you used of the Bella Solids to make the framed fussy cut blocks? It would help me a lot! Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I wish I knew the names of the colors, but I didn't write them down. I'm sorry!

      Delete
    2. Oh well... I'm a bit color-challenged, and you obviously have the gift! Thanks for answering anyway. :)

      Delete
  5. I love this quilt! The fabric suits my cousin so perfectly that I think I will use it to make a baby quilt for her (soon to be) new baby boy!! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so glad you like it. Good luck with your quilt!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the info on this quilt! Can't wait to make it for my little boy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm waiting for the book to come in do you know how of each fabric it called for? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What kind of batting did you use? I love to have lots of distance between stitches but I'm always afraid I'm going to pay for it later after many washings. Thanks in advance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a while, so I'm not positive, but it was probably either Warm & White or Warm & Natural (the two I usually use). Recently, I've also begun to use Pellon Nature's Touch. From my experience, they all work pretty well with widely spaced quilting, and I haven't had a problem so far. My quilting was spaced wider that usual in this quilt, but W&W is good up to 10" between quilting, I believe. This was probably about 6" of space.

      Delete
  9. Do you happen to remember the dimensions of this quilt? You did a beautiful job on it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This quilt is beautiful! It has definitely given me some ideas and inspirations for the baby quilt I have bought fabric to make :) Well done!

    ReplyDelete

Got something to say? I'd love to hear it! Thanks for commenting. (All comments are moderated, so it may take a little while for yours to appear. Just hit "Publish," and I'll take care of the rest.)