Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Sewing for me: Nursing cover

This weekend, with my baby shower sewing done for now, I decided to sew something for me! I wanted a quickie project, so I decided to put together my nursing cover.
I used this tutorial from Made by the Mamamonster, and it was great. The instructions were very clear, and I liked it better than the other tutorials I found because it incorporated boning into the top hem so that you get a "peep hole" between the straps, which makes it easier for you to keep an eye on the baby. The rigid neckline has become a common feature on the fancy store-bought nursing covers like Bebe Au Lait, and I really wanted to incorporate it into mine.
For the fabric, I used some Morning Glory in Linen from Amy Butler's Lotus collection, which I bought from Hawthorne Threads without a project in mind a year or so ago. On the whole, I'm not a big fan of most of AB's designs (Eek! I admit it. They're just not me.), but I loved this one from the start and was glad to use it in a project that will get a lot of use.
This view shows how the boning forms the peep hole in the middle. I can't wait to use it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say? I'd love to hear it! Thanks for commenting. (All comments are moderated, so it may take a little while for yours to appear. Just hit "Publish," and I'll take care of the rest.)