Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Hide and Seek Spectrum Quilt

While I have several baby gifts I'm still working on for friends, I wanted to show you a little more of a quilt I'm getting started on for my own little biscuit. Shortly after I found out I was pregnant, I bought Anna Maria Horner's Handmade Beginnings book. I'd been wanting it for a while, but it was hard to justify purchasing it until we knew we had one of our own on the way.
Anyway, as I was flipping through and deciding which projects I "had" to do, I found the Hide and Seek Spectrum Quilt and decided it would be the perfect "tummy time" quilt (and a much better alternative to those plastic play mats they sell for babies).
I loved the rainbow of colors, the "peek-a-boo" nature of the flaps on the quilt, and the fact that it could be a learning tool if you used fabrics with pictures behind the windows.
I started off with some help from the ladies at Sew Fresh Fabrics, who put together this awesome rainbow bundle of Kona solids.
Then, I had to find my picture prints for the windows. Aren't they great?
I wound up using a combination of scraps from my stash, as well as prints I picked up from Joann's and my local quilt shop.
We originally wanted an all-animal or all-food theme, but that proved tricky, so we ended up with a combination of foods, animals, and a few planes and people thrown in. 
 Now, I just gotta get them washed so I can get started!
Man, I love that pig. :)

UPDATE: For a list of the solid colors I used in the quilt, see this post

2 comments:

  1. Those rainbow solids look wonderful. I don't suppose you remember which colors they all are?

    Sadly my kiddos are too old now for peek-a-boo quilts, but the rainbow blocks are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I figure others might want to know about the colors, too, so I just added a new post listing them: http://ablueskykindoflife.blogspot.com/2011/09/building-rainbow.html.

    Enjoy!
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete

Got something to say? I'd love to hear it! Thanks for commenting. (All comments are moderated, so it may take a little while for yours to appear. Just hit "Publish," and I'll take care of the rest.)