Thursday, July 28, 2016

A Seussical quillow

I'm still catching up on old projects and realized I never blogged about the Quillow I made for B a few months back. My little guy is the biggest Dr. Seuss fan you will ever meet, and every time he'd come into the fabric store where I work, he'd wander over to the juvenile section and just stare at the Seuss fabrics, not so subtly mentioning I should make something for him. So, over time, with a fat quarter here and there, I'd amassed quite a collection of Seuss fabrics, but I wasn't sure what to make him. He already has two quilts, and I had way too much fabric to just make him a pillow or tote. So, when I came across the Quillow pattern in Allison Harris's Growing Up Modern, it seemed like the perfect solution --  a lightweight quilt that folds up into a pillow, making it perfect for travel or taking to parents' night out at his school.
I started the quilt at a St. Louis MQG sew-in back in May and finished it a night or two later. It went together in no time, and the look on B's face when I gave it to him was priceless. He was SO excited. Seriously, this look right here is why I love to make for people.
He slept under it until it started to get really warm this summer, and now he uses it as a pillow all. the. time. The front is a combination of Seuss fabrics from several collections, combined with a Riley Blake yellow dot, an aqua solid, and Metro Living circles in lime and red. The backing is an uber soft Carolina 1" Gingham in Denim, and the pillow cover is ABC by Dr. Seuss in Sky on the outside and a red pin dot from my stash on the inside. It measures approximately 41" x 57" and folds up rather cleverly into a 15.5" square pillow.
P.S. Sorry for the poor (and limited) photos in this post. I forgot to get any pictures before I gifted it to B, and I haven't been able to wrest it out of his hands long enough to iron it since. Well-loved quilt = bad blog photos. I'll take it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say? I'd love to hear it! Thanks for commenting. (All comments are moderated, so it may take a little while for yours to appear. Just hit "Publish," and I'll take care of the rest.)