Now that these have been gifted, I'm so glad I finally get to reveal the Mini Fancy Fox quilts on the blog! If you follow me on Instagram, you've seen peaks of these before, but I've got lots more to show you.The central fox blocks are from Elizabeth Hartman's Fancy Fox quilt pattern. My husband's family name on his mother's side is Fox, so when the release of Elizabeth's pattern coincided with an upcoming family reunion on Matt's side, I knew I had to take advantage. I decided to make three mini quilts (They measure about 14" square.) for Matt's mom and two aunts.
I kept the central blocks simple, using just dark orange, black, and white solids, and all three are the same. Each block is surrounded by a scrappy log cabin treatment similar to what I did on the Ohio Log Cabin quilt. I used the same fabrics in all three, but they're placed in different arrangements. Each one is also bound in a different color and quilted in a different pattern (though all three using a light orange thread). Ready to meet them?
First up, the dark teal fox!
This guy's bound in a dark teal solid. I quilted it using straight vertical and horizontal lines on each side of the fox face, then filled in the open space by his cheeks and between his ears.Next, we have the mysterious dark orange fox.
He was the first one I finished and a bit of a test run. For the quilting, I outlined his entire face and then mimiced the pattern all the way out to the edge. The quilting on all of the foxes is spaced roughly a half inch.
Finally, we've got the light teal fox.
He's bound in this great tealy blue crosshatch. For the quilting, I created a "V" shape following the line of the fox's jaw and radiated down. Then, I did the same with the space between his ears, and I filled in the little bit between the two sections with more diagonal lines.
They are all backed with the Berries in Stone print from Kate and Birdie Paper Co.'s Autumn Woods collection. The tealy blue crosshatch is also from this collection, as are the medium orange and brown crosshatch prints used in the log cabins on the fronts. I also used the dark and light orange crosshatch prints from Carolyn Friedlander, some of the orange leaves from Botanics, and a lovely teal shot cotton. Glad these guys have found their new homes.