Thursday, December 5, 2013

A hairy day

Just before Thanksgiving, I finally went in for a hair cut. I have a habit of basically waiting about a year and a half between cuts, then I go in, chop it all off, and get a new perm. I've been perming my hair since high school, and because of that, I mistakenly believed that I couldn't donate my hair.
A few months ago, I read Jenn's post about donating to Children with Hair Loss (CWHL) and decided to look into it. I'd never heard about CWHL before, but I was intrigued by the fact that they can use shorter lengths (for comparison, Locks of Love requires at least 10", though they do accept permed hair as well). I also liked that they provide all of their hair pieces completely free of charge to the children.
I ended up taking off between 9 and 10 inches, bagged it up, and sent it off. My head feels so much lighter now! I hope the hair can be used for someone, and I look forward to doing it again in another year and a half. If you're looking to donate your hair, definitely consider looking into CWHL.

2 comments:

  1. A worthy charity and a lovely new 'do' for you!! My little niece has donated her hair twice. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I read on the Locks of Love site that something like 80% of their donations come from children who want to help other children. So heartwarming! Good for your niece!

      Delete

Got something to say? I'd love to hear it! Thanks for commenting. (All comments are moderated, so it may take a little while for yours to appear. Just hit "Publish," and I'll take care of the rest.)