Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Tall Tales quilt: A finish!

I have another quilty finish to share with you today! Meet the sweet little Tall Tales Quilt.
This quilt holds a special place in my heart because I made it for my new little nephew, who arrived about a month ago. My brother and sister-in-law are both English PhDs, so I knew from the start that I wanted to make their little one a book-themed quilt.
Then, the wonderful Kate Basti released her (free!) Tall Tales block pattern, and the rest was history. The pattern is just a single paper-pieced book, so I made 16 of them and then added borders and sashing to bring the quilt up to about 36" square.
For the book covers, I used mostly Cotton + Steel prints (largely from Kujira and Star, with a little bit of Yours Truly and Flower Shop, along with some C+S basics) with a few other coordinates thrown in. I used an assortment of text and lined prints for the book "pages," and the background fabric (which turned out to be hard to capture accurately in photographs) is a Dear Stella Net print in a lovely icy mint green.
For the backing, I used an older Cloud 9 print that I'd been hoarding for a while. I love that print so much, and it worked perfectly with the quilt. Thankfully, I had some left over (phew). For the binding, I used another print from Kujira. I wanted the quilt to be super light and soft, so I kept the quilting pretty minimal, just some wavy lines spaced randomly.
 
As it turns out, in a stroke of luck, the quilt arrived at its new home the day my nephew arrived. I got all the warm fuzzies when my brother sent me this precious photo of the little guy enjoying his gift. Much as I love it, the quilt is definitely not the cutest thing in this picture. :) Welcome to the family, A!

1 comment:

  1. This is such a clever quilt for English PhDs and their new arrival. It will be loved by all.

    ReplyDelete

Got something to say? I'd love to hear it! Thanks for commenting. (All comments are moderated, so it may take a little while for yours to appear. Just hit "Publish," and I'll take care of the rest.)