Thursday, September 29, 2016

Garment sewing: Ruby top

Another of my unblogged finishes was my first Ruby top (pattern by Made by Rae), which I whipped up earlier in the summer.
It's super comfy and has become one of my favorite tops to wear this summer, though I'm not sure it's my most flattering. This cut of top can be difficult on bustier figures, but after checking out lots of versions on Instagram, I thought perhaps I could pull it off.
I think the main problem was not choosing quite the right fabric. The top part is a great cotton from Rain Walk by Anna Graham, but the pin dot chambray (by Robert Kaufman) I chose for the bottom (which I love!) was a bit too heavy for this pattern. It just doesn't lay in the right way, especially from the side, where it looks a bit maternity. I think it would definitely work better in a lighter weight chambray or rayon. That being said, it has improved with several washings (I washed the fabrics before sewing them, but these pics are from before the finished garment was washed.)
The pattern, like all of Rae's, is wonderfully written, and I'm excited to try it again. I think this top will stick with me as we transition to fall and should look great under a cardigan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say? I'd love to hear it! Thanks for commenting. (All comments are moderated, so it may take a little while for yours to appear. Just hit "Publish," and I'll take care of the rest.)