Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Mom's mini sewing retreat

In keeping with recent trends, I'm about a month behind on this post, but better late than never, right? My mom came for a weekend visit in early September, and as always, we had a great time. It seems like B is getting to the age where he is really starting to bond with the grandparents, and this trip turned out to be a great example.
He and Grandmozzie were total buds the whole weekend and had a grand time goofing off together. They picked out a mini pumpkin together at the farmers' market, and B now keeps it in his room. (It "lives" on his bookshelf, but several times we've walked into his room at the end of his nap to find him holding it in bed. Ha! He loves that little thing.)
We didn't end up doing a ton of activities during this trip because part of the purpose of the trip was for me to do a short sewing workshop with my mom. She'd been thinking about taking up quilting for a while but had no idea where to start. I told her the best place was here, of course! I figured I could walk her through the basics to get her familiar with the machine and the process, so she'd have a better idea of whether this hobby was really going to be for her before she invested a lot of time and money.
She was a natural! She caught on really quickly, and we whipped through the basics and moved on to her first project in no time. I soon realized how hard it can be to stay hands off and let someone else try and learn without you constantly butting in. I'm sure I overwhelmed her with information but hopefully some of it stuck!
She made this little mug rug for my step-dad with little more than guidance from me. Not too shabby for a weekend's work from someone who'd never turned on a sewing machine before. I was so proud of her (and I think she was pretty pleased with herself, too). ;) Next time, we're going fabric shopping...
What a fun (but all too brief) trip! Thank goodness she'll be back again a month or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say? I'd love to hear it! Thanks for commenting. (All comments are moderated, so it may take a little while for yours to appear. Just hit "Publish," and I'll take care of the rest.)